AW: [opencms-dev] charset problems

Thomas März thomasmaerz at gmx.de
Thu Nov 21 16:54:15 CET 2002

Hello

> use CATALINA_OPTS=-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
>
> _not_ CATALINA_OPTS=-Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-1 (don't use!!)
>
> Having done that, experiment with the "content-encoding" property on a
> plain text file setting it to either "UTF-8" or "ISO-8859-1" which both
> should work.
>
> As said in the release note Java 1.3 is not currently supported because
> of these encoding issues.

Thank you. This works for me on my Windows Box using JDK 1.4.1.

Still have to upgrade the Linux box on 1.4.1; using 1.4.0 doesn't work
with my Tomcat-Version, because I'm getting Segmentation Faults.
Will try the new config this week.

If somebody has the muse to explain, why setting
isn't sufficient for IE 5 when chosing in IE 5-settings encoding=utf-8
or encoding=iso-8859-1, I would be thankful. Because I think the browser
takes the encoding given in the meta-tag? And still don't understand why
it works without setting CATALINA_OPTS in IE 6.

But I think I will also sleep well this night without knowing. ;-)

Regards
Thomas