[opencms-dev] Problem with mod_proxy guidelines

Eke, Kemi Kemi.Eke at community-fund.org.uk
Fri Feb 6 13:33:01 CET 2004

Hi Thorsten

Thanks for your idea. In the Apache guidelines for setting up Name based
Virtual Hosts, it says I am required to use the directive that you're
suggesting, NameVirtualHost. If I force my server to receive requests on all
interfaces, namely

NameVirtualHost *

I get the following on restarting the httpd daemon

Starting httpd: [Fri Feb 06 12:02:45 2004] [error] VirtualHost _default_:443
-- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not
supported, proceeding with undefined results
                                                           [  OK  ]

And all HTTP requests for all servers (opencms, test01, test02) return this:

Bad request!
Your browser (or proxy) sent a request that this server could not
understand.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster
Error 400
test01
Fri 06 Feb 2004 12:04:51 GMT
Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux)

So then I decided to force the interface to listen on my servers IP address:

NameVirtualHost 192.168.5.127
<VirtualHost 192.168.5.127>...

The httpd daemon restarts with no errors, however I'm back to the same
situation I was in before.  All servers, test01, test02 and opencms work and
you can only log into the administration environment via the
opencms.alkacon.com server but all servers have the "Introduction to the
OpenCms 5 fat-binary distribution" as their start page and not

test01 serving /alkacon-documentation
test02 serving /release
opencms serving "Introduction to the OpenCms 5 fat-binary distribution"

which is what I would expect for each individual virtual host.  So at the
moment the information in the module does clear the /opencms/opencms part of
the url, but I have a new problem where each site is visible to the other
from any server, because they are serving pages from the same starting
point, not the desired result.  I am happy to help with any further
debugging of this, please if you or anyone else has some pointers on this
please let me know

TIA

Kind Regards

Kemi