[opencms-dev] Re: Installation issues - Incompatible compiler & JRE

Ethan Baldridge ethan at 35mmeyes.com
Wed May 25 22:23:58 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 10:31 -0400, Ethan Baldridge wrote:
> I already did that though - it still uses gcj. No matter what I do with
> JAVA_HOME it remains using /usr/lib64/libgcj.so.5.0.0
>
> Actually, on looking closer into the problem, I decided to take a look
> at the source code to see if I could perhaps solve the problem by
> typecasting the int it's talking about.
>
> I don't have the source for org/opencms/util/CmsStringUtil - only the
> class file is in the jar.
>
> So the problem is actually entirely different than what we were
> thinking. The file has already been compiled, it's not using gcj to
> compile it, only libgcj to interpret the java bytecode. There is
> actually an error in the Java interpretation.
>
> The only question is, are you supposed to be allowed to use an int as a
> parameter in a regular expression check? If so, then a patch needs to be
> submitted to gcj (at least, unless they've fixed that in a more recent
> version than 3.3.4). Otherwise, the error is in the OpenCMS source.
>
> Ethan

I removed the FC2 version of Tomcat (which is apparently hardwired to
use libgcj for the bytecode interpreter) and installed Tomcat 5.5.9 -
being able to use J2SDK 1.4.2 instead solved everything.

Might be a good idea to change that int to a string anyway for the
developers, since I'm guessing that what is called for in the java
language spec for the regexp compile call.

Thanks for everybody's help!

Ethan