[opencms-dev] Re: regarding OpenCMS synchronisation

christian_steinert at web.de christian_steinert at web.de
Mon Jan 22 17:49:24 CET 2007

Jear Jaisy,

please send such questions to the list, so that others can read the replies.

> I have a doubt regarding OpenCMS synchronization. Why are u
> using synchronization.
Synchronization can be used if you want to copy files from the virtual filesystem in the database into the real filesystem. This is mainly a help when you export and import data during development time.

> I want to use this feature to get my content to the
> local file system and then move it to another CMS tool.
If the other system can import your content, then this may be ok. But all pages that are stored by opencms will not only have their HTML code, but instead there will be some more XML code in each page file and only inside of that XML code there is you actual HTML body.

So if you want to import your pages into another system, you may have to write a small program first, that takes the exported files and removes the XML part so that really only your HTML body parts remain.

> I also want the same
> feature as publishing and synchronizing together in one go.
You have to distinguish three things here.
- 1. *Publishing* means that files are copied from the offline area in the opencms database to the online area that is *still* in the opencms database. After publishing, your content still only exists in the database but it is the published content that will be used for creating pages for public users.

- 2. *Synchronization* means that raw, unprocessed files are copied from opencms into the file system and back. This is meant to help during development

- 3. *Static Export* means that opencms takes content, processes it with your templates into complete pages and exports these *complete pages* into the file system to increase the speed. Static export is well described in www.opencms-wiki.org and was often discussed on this list, so that you should be able to find more info in the list archives.

> Could you explain what your requirement was? What is the “reload”
> feature u talking about?? What is the use of this?
Maybe you mean the synchronization feature, but I am not sure, what exactly you mean: If you use the synchronization feature then files are written from the opencms database to the filesystem. If you change those files in the filesystem and synchronize again, then the changed files are re-imported from the filesystem to the opencms database. As said before, this is only a tool for development.

hope that helps
christian