[opencms-dev] multilanguage

Carl Alex Friis Nielsen cfn at kb.dk
Tue May 22 10:21:34 CEST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: opencms-dev-bounces at opencms.org [mailto:opencms-dev-bounces at opencms.org]On Behalf Of Jordi Martí

[snip]

> I'm not sure I understood it, but this scares me: should I have a page replicated X times,
>  and the user that sets up the information, this XML information X times (being X the
> number of languages)?

> Can't I just have a page in which I want to show the content depending the Locale
> the user selected??? Just a JSP and just a XML information (its information replicated
> X times in X fields).

Essentially this is what is being sugested in the text you quote.

You have ONE content containing the content of all locales the content should be found
in.

The siblings are just references to the same resource but with different contexts
(properties, inherited properties, placement in the VFS etc.)

If a sibling has the locale property set or inherits it from an ancestor folder, then the
system will automatically attempt to use the content in that locale if available or fall back
to some other locale found in the content if not - a sibling with another locale will be shown
in that other locale (if available) etc.

Of course you can overide the system by explicitly selecting the locale you desire in your
code, but why bother when the system can handle it for you ?

Cheers,

Carl