[opencms-dev] Installing OpenCMS on multiple Tomcat's and using MySQL Cluster

Jordi Marti jmarti at theinit.com
Tue Nov 6 09:43:48 CET 2012

Hello Gary,

Yes, that's basically what OCEE is for: to be able to have one database
and several tomcats.

When you publish in one tomcat, this publication has to replicate to
other servers, as they are not notified about this publication (so
images, jsp, exports, text indexes, locks, etc. can be different from
the original tomcat). To be able to do that, OCEE module exists.

In the other hand, you really CAN have that configuration you are
talking about without OCEE; but you have to know and understand these
limitations. Most of the time we think about developing ourselves
workarounds to avoid these limitations, but myself I have proved that at
then end, the total development is worth to buy the OCEE license.

To get the installation done, you have to:
- Install Opencms in one of the tomcats.
- ZIP (war) the "opencms" folder once the installation is done, and put
in in the other tomcat.
- Make some minor changes in opencms.properties (Basically, rename the
server and the mac address).

With that, you should be able to start up both tomcats and see opencms
in both places. Basically, what I do is to make changes in one tomcat,
publish them in that tomcat, go to the other tomcat, touch the folders
or files that I changed, and publish them in that other tomcat. As you
can see, if you really need that to be operative, you need ocee.

I have never tried a Mysql Cluster, but I guess it should work...

I must say that last month I bought the OCEE cluster and opencms
support, and I'm happy that I did :)

Good luck