[opencms-dev] Page-templates and csm:editable

Hein van der Kallen hvanderkallen at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 17 14:00:51 CET 2022

Alkacon,

In Opencms 7 the preferred way to create a webpage was with a xml-content
type and a page-template.

In the resourcetype of your xml-content you define a template-elements
definition pointing to your page template.

Now in every folder where an author has write permission your user can
create a new xml-content, that points to your page template. And after
publishing, the page is created using only the xml-content and the
page-template.

Moreover if you use <cms:editable> in your page template, the logged-in user
can, in display mode,  see a working edit button to edit his xml-content.

See:
http://www.opencms-wiki.org/wiki/Defining_OpenCMS_structured_XML_content

If you had xmlpages and followed the excellent conversion strategy from
Michael Emmerich in

https://www.slideshare.net/AlkaconOpenCms/opencms-days-2013-how-to-update-sm
oothly-to-opencms-9ms-9

you would end up with a new xml-content type using <cms:editable> and a
page-template with an included head and foot. ( you "only" had to write a
suitable conversion program for your xmlpages).

I consider page-templates and <cms:editable> the easiest and best design for
most websites.

The author writes his story in one xml-content and publishes it, the
designer makes sure that everything needed around that story is generated in
the included head and foot.

( the base template for the head and foot can use the location of the
xml-content to show different content in the head and foot depending on that
location).

Yes, you can also create a container template with the same head and foot,
using <cms:enable-ade>

And you can add formatters and a module config to your xml-content types.

Then you can use ADE and container pages. As Alkacon prefers starting from
Opencms 8.

But that design is way more complicated. I tried it, but never found it
better.

And I never found a good conversion strategy for existing content.

In opencms 10 and opencms 11 page-templates and <cms:editable>  work if in

Your site root (sites/default) you put no template property and

In /sites/default/.content/config you only state that you use no (ade)
types:

You put in /sites/default/.content/config

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<SitemapConfigurations xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="opencms://system/modules/org.opencms.ade.conf
ig/schemas/sitemap_config.xsd">

  <SitemapConfiguration language="en">

    <DiscardTypes>true</DiscardTypes>

  </SitemapConfiguration>

</SitemapConfigurations>

In lower folders I can then make subsites using containerpages and ADE.

In opencms 13 Page-templates and <csm:editable> DO NOT work anymore as
desired:

The editor buttons in display mode don't work any more : when clicked they
show "Cannot be created or edited"

And when I delete the .content directory or add my xml-content types to the
/sites/default/.content/config then when I create a new xml-content opencms
will suggest to place it by default in the .content directory , what I did
not had and do not want.

Alkacon :

1.	Will you continue to support a design where at least a part of the
pages is generated using Page-templates and <cms:editable> ? ( It is never
declared deprecated, but the new documentation with opencms 14 does an
excellent job in hiding this design possibility.)
2.	What is the preferred way to keep Page-templates and <csm:editable>
working as it was ?

3.	Will you keep hiding this solution, which some of your users still
consider the best design?