[opencms-dev] Don't succeed in debugging OpenCMS-source-code

Oliver Zoeller zcms at gmx.net
Sun Mar 19 19:55:09 CET 2000

Hi,

is it possible to step through the OpenCMS-Code with a debugger (jdb)? I
tried the following steps, but didn't succeed until now:

1) I compiled the OpenCMS-source-code with the -g option (for generating
debug-info)
2) set the property "ApJServManual on" in "jserv.conf" to be able to start
JServ in manual mode
3) removed "opencms", "xerces.jar" and "mysql_uncomp.jar" from the list of
repositories in "zone.properties" and instead added them to the CLASSPATH
4) set "autoreload.classes=false" and "autoreload.file=false" in
"zone.properties" to prevent servlet class autoreloading
5) started JServ in the JDB-debugger with "jdb org.apache.jserv.JServ
c:\ApacheJServ\conf\jserv.properties"
6) tried to access the OpenCMS-example-page with the browser
(http://localhost/servlets/opencms/examples/index.html)

-> a "System Exception"-message-box appears in the browser-window,
containing the following text:
A CmsException was thrown. [CmsException]: 29
Exception type: OpenCms class loader error
Detailed Error: Could not load template class
com.opencms.template.CmsXmlTemplate
:-(

7) if I remove the "opencms"-package from the CLASSPATH, add it to the list
of repositories in "zone.properties" again, and then restart JServ in the
debugger, I am able to access the OpenCMS-example-page with the browser, but
am not able to set any breakpoints in OpenCMS-code any more, because the
debugger does not know the location of the "OpenCMS"-classes.
:-(

What can I do??

Thanx in advance,

Oliver Zöller