[opencms-dev] Workplace Performance

Michael Emmerich emmerich at german-navy.de
Sat Aug 19 13:22:25 CEST 2000

> I have found a performance problem with the OpenCms WorkPlace. Every
> time the class CmsXmlWpTemplateFile is created, it creates a new
> instance of CmsXmlLanguageFile. On creation CmsXmlLanguageFile, parses
> the appropriate language file for the current user. Parsing the
> language file is a slow process, it takes about 1.5 seconds.

The CmsXmlLanguage file isn't loaded and parsed all the time. This is
only done once, after that the parsed language file is taken from an
internal cache.

This still takes to much time however, so this should be changed
somehow.

> An
> instance of CmsXmlWpTemplateFile is created for each request to the
> CMS, even if the request is for an image. This drastically reduces the
> performance of the CMS. A temporary fixed is shown in the code below.
> This code will fix the language used by WorkPlace to the default
> language (German). If you wish to use English, you will need to change
> the default language to English.

As Hardi Probst mentioned, he suggested the same fix sometime ago. But
thiso ne as a major disadvantage: By storing the language file the way
you suggest, it is impossible to switch the language of the workplace
anymore. In addition, all users that would have the same language
settings on the workplace.

You could use this as a temporary fix since normally all users of one
single OpenCms instalation would use the same language, but I tinhk it
would be better to find a more general way to improve the perfomance
here.

Regards,
	Michael Emmerich

Private: emmerich at german-navy.de
Work   : michael.emmerich at framfab.de
ICQ    : 18897063
WWW    : http://www.german-navy.de
         German Naval History & Home of the Squirrel Observatory