[opencms-dev] Caching and Failover

Michael Emmerich emmerich at german-navy.de
Sat Jan 20 13:40:55 CET 2001

Hi Simon!

> Could somebody please explain to me what kind of caching mechanism is used
> with OpenCms and how the cache.* can be set and what they mean.

I guess you talk about the cache.* entries in the opencms.properties
file.
They define the size (in elementes) of the internal OpenCms caches for
the different data objects of OpenCms. This is used to reduce the DB
access of OpenCms. e.g. cache.users defines the number of OpenCms users
cached in the system itself. For a normal use, it is not required to
modify those parameters.

> I am also interested in what the Session-failover parameters section refers
> to.

The session failover parameter is only required when you have multiple
OpenCms systems connected to a single database (when using some kind of
load balancer). By setting this parameter to true, user sessions can be
shared between the different OpenCms systems.

Michael
Home   : emmerich at german-navy.de
Work   : michael.emmerich at framfab.de
ICQ    : 18897063