[opencms-dev] Problems when migrating OpenCMS installation from NT to Linux

hbusch at push-interactive.de hbusch at push-interactive.de
Sat Oct 13 13:33:14 CEST 2001

Hi!

We installed OpenCMS 4.4.0 under Win NT 4.0 with Tomcat 3.3. The database we
use is located on a linux server running MySQL version 3.23.42. For testing
and developing purposes, we need to "move" our OpenCMS System from the NT
machine to another linux server. So we deployed OpenCMS on this linux
machine, running latest Apache and Tomcat 3.3 and told the installation to
connect to the database we formerly used for the NT installation. We did not
drop any tables to preserve the data we already have. But the new linux
installation of OpenCMS does not work with the former NT database, even
though we used the same username and password to connect to the very same
database on the same server. OpenCMS does start but no user can login, the
system always states "Unknown user" but the user are present in the database
as they were already created by the NT installation.
The linux system works if we tell OpenCMS to drop the database during the
installation process, we just can't get it to work with an already existing
database created by the NT installation.

Has anyone an idea why this is that way and how should we solve this issue
(apart from dumping the database and recreating it)?

We assume that it has something to do with how the OS's encrypt data and
that the encryption NT uses is not compatible with that Linux uses.

Regards,
Hendrik Busch

Push Interactive GmbH | In der VillaMedia
Viehhofstrasse 125 | D 42117 Wuppertal | phone +49 (0)202 2427-300  | fax
-310
Klenzestrasse 38   | D 80469 Munich    | phone +49 (0)89  2602465-0 | fax -2

mailto:HBusch at push-interactive.de   | http://www.push-interactive.de