[opencms-dev] Module development - Best practices

philippe.belanger at ifrance.com philippe.belanger at ifrance.com
Thu Dec 6 11:16:11 CET 2001

Hi everyone,

I would like to know what are the best practices to
use when developing a module.

I have downloaded and installed the news module and
started to make some changes to it for learning
purposes.

I ended up spending much time uploading my newly
compiled classes to opencms.  My guess is that I did
not get something right.

Here are the steps I am performing:
1- Change and compile my Java code using my prefered
IDE
2- use the opencms explorer, select my project and
get to the news directory (under system/classes)

for each java class:
3- lock the existing class file
4- delete this class file
5- create a new file ("upload a new file" type)
6- select the newly compiled .class file on my disk
7- publish directly the class file
8- stop Tomcat
9- start Tomcat
10- *finally* I can test if my changes work

I am sure there is a better way to do this.

Should I temporarly compile the news module to the
occlasses directory and avoid the upload/publish
steps?

Hints and recommendations would be most welcomed.

Cheers,

Philippe