[opencms-dev] Error importing website for oc 4.4.0

tiger.boogie at t-online.de tiger.boogie at t-online.de
Sun Feb 10 20:03:36 CET 2002

Hello,

I succeeded in importing the NewsModule4, then I wanted to import the Website_for_oc_4.4.0 which failed. The Error I get is:

[CmsException]: 0 Unknown exception. Detailed Error: NO MESSAGE. Caught Exception: >java.lang.NullPointerException<
 at com.opencms.template.cache.CmsElementXml.getContent(CmsElementXml.java:182)
 at com.opencms.template.cache.CmsUri.callCanonicalRoot(CmsUri.java:163)
 at com.opencms.template.cache.CmsElementCache.callCanonicalRoot(CmsElementCache.java:120)
 at com.opencms.launcher.CmsXmlLauncher.generateOutput(CmsXmlLauncher.java:209)
 at com.opencms.launcher.CmsXmlLauncher.launch(CmsXmlLauncher.java:264)
 at com.opencms.launcher.A_CmsLauncher.initlaunch(A_CmsLauncher.java:272)
 at com.opencms.core.OpenCms.showResource(OpenCms.java:403)
 at com.opencms.core.OpenCmsHttpServlet.doPost(OpenCmsHttpServlet.java:534)
 at com.opencms.boot.OpenCmsServlet.service(OpenCmsServlet.java:117)
[...]

I had a look at the place in the sources (CmsElementXml.java line 158) where the exception occurs, I think...

result = templateClass.getContent(cms, theTemplate, elementName, parameters, templateSelector);

and the place it is handled (CmsElementXml.java Line 182)

// No CmsException. This is really, really bad!
if(com.opencms.core.I_CmsLogChannels.C_PREPROCESSOR_IS_LOGGING && A_OpenCms.isLogging()) {
    A_OpenCms.log(C_OPENCMS_CRITICAL, toString() + " Non OpenCms error occured in getContent for template class " + m_className);
}
throw new CmsException(CmsException.C_UNKNOWN_EXCEPTION, e);

A look into the logfile:

[10.02.2002 18:03:27] <opencms_critical> [CmsElementXml (CmsAdminModuleNew/module_new)] Non OpenCms error occured in getContent for template class com.opencms.workplace.CmsAdminModuleNew

I think the real error lies somewhere in the XmlParser that tries to cast an xml-entry to an object in the element cache, which fails. Am I Wrong ?

I read a thread about switching out the element cache in in my case and did so but then was thrown another exception like it happened to other people before. (see http://www.opencms.org/majordomo/opencms-dev/0110/msg00005.html).

As I am new to OpenCms I can't really figure out why this is done that way and a bunch of debug statements would dramatically help me out. I saw a C_DEBUG flag in the sources. Is there a way to switch debuging on (without recompiling) ?

I also checked out the projects (current and planned) on your website but couldn't associate any of these with my problem. Did anybody ever succeed in properly installing the website_for_oc_4.4.0 module without the above mentioned errors ? If yes how did they do it ?

Cheers,
Martin