[opencms-dev] On how to integrate OpenCMS and velocity:

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.com
Mon Apr 1 02:31:21 CEST 2002

Michael,

> So the OpenCms Template mechanism is used as a wrapper to
> start the VTL processing - at least this is what the code
> example looks like. The LC_Velocity_OpenCMS is initialized
> somewhere outside the example, but what would prevent to
> initialize the ResourceLoader in a new OpenCms launcher class?

You still miss the point. The ResourceLoader is a Velocity class, it is
not inteded to be accessible from Outside of Velocity and the way Werner
has done it is a quick workaraound to get going. You will have no way to
initialize the Velocity ResourceLoader in the launcher. Believe me, or
better yet, look at the Velocity code.

> The current Template mechansim always used a template and a
> Java Class to process the template, so a launcher for
> Velocity could use avery similar mechanism, define a VTL and
> a Velocity servlet. As you said, this is very similar than
> the current template mechanism works within OpenCms.
> Therefore this would even more be an argument to use a
> launcher based integration into OpenCms.

Well of course. But I would for sure not call this a "just add a
launcher for Velocity" project. It will require a lot of work, time and
thinking. And yes it would be great to have, but it seems people even
lack the time to answer simple questions these days.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
OpenCms Group