[opencms-dev] OpenCms + Oracle working together!

Dan Moore Dan.Moore at xor.com
Fri May 24 17:05:39 CEST 2002

On Fri, 24 May 2002 16:55, mfoley5 at csc.com.au wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> An update on our WebLogic+Oracle+thin driver progress:
>
> Everything has been running as stable as can be, but when we tried to
> re-run the setup wizard we hit multiple ORA-01008 "not all variables bound"
> errors when importing the workspace.   Research into this continues (sigh).
> If anybody can explain why PreparedStatement.setBytes() works but
> setBinaryStream() doesn't (this is the change I made) I would be pleased to
> hear the explanation.

Hi Mark,

This might illuminate the problem:

"Oracle's implementation of PreparedStatement does not fully support the
manipulation of large objects like BLOBs and CLOBs. Specifically, the Thin
driver does not support the use of the PreparedStatement object's
setObject() and setBinaryStream() methods to set a BLOB's value, nor does
it support the use of setCharacterStream() to set a CLOB's value. In
addition, only methods in the locator itself, represented by a
java.sql.Blob or a java.sql.Clob, can retrieve a LOB's value from the
database. The fact that you can use a PreparedStatement to insert or update
a LOB, but need to use a locator to retrieve a LOB's value, is
inconsistent. Because of these two issues, I recommend you consistently use
the locator's methods to insert, update, and retrieve LOB data."

(from: http://www.onjava.com/lpt/a/onjava/2001/12/19/oraclejdbc.html)

Dan