[opencms-dev] More high-level questions

Stephan Hartmann hartmann at waehrisch-feykes.de
Wed May 29 14:55:30 CEST 2002

Hi Andre,

> > Hi,
>
> I have some more high-level questions and hope, somebody can answer them.
>
> 1. The workflow concept seems not very well defined to me. In general, what
> I want, is that each page is going to a workflow, that editors enter the
> content and once the page is finished, other people having another role,
> can check the pages and reject or publish it. SO it is NOT always the same
> person editing AND publishing one page. Is this workflow concept supported
> with OpenCms? How?

In OpenCms Administrators and Projectmanagers can create and publish
projects. During creation you can choose roles (groups) for projectmanagers
and projectusers. The users can edit and create pages within this project but
cannot publish resources. Only managers can publish resources. To meet your
needs best you could create a project (you know you don't have to select the
whole site) and select a group you created before. then you can notify all
members of this group through the workflow system and delegate tasks. If
everyone has made his changes they use the workflow to mark their tasks as
done and you get a notification. then you can check the changes and publish
the project.

> 2. How can I support "strutured" content in OpenCms? I do not want to use
> the WYSIWYG editor but instead let the author create pages with some small
> text entry fields, possibly some drop down boxes to choose from a
> predefined set of values? The advantage would be to enforce a very strict
> layout.

I agree with you in that point.
You can achieve this by creating templates with mulitple text bodies. You can
also predefine them by using a template in /content/default_bodies in
conjunction with your main template.
In the text editor you can chose them from the drop down box text bodies.
In addition you could use page properties to define values like colors
(similar to title). You could also create a new page creation dialog that
asks for this properties.

> 3. Can the scheduler be used to automatically publish and remove pages
> to/from the live site?

If you use ContentDefinitions you could implement
com.opencms.defaults.I_CmsTimedContentDefinition.

Bye,
Stephan

> 4. If I want to use a three-server based architecture (production, stage
> and live server), how can I configure OpenCms to work this way?
>
> 5. Is it possible, to do an "Undo" once you have published your complete
> site (to rollback to the previous version)?
>
> 6. Does OpenCms have an integrated link checker?
>
> It would be great, if somebody can help me out here.
>
> André
> --
> Andre Fuechsel, Senior Consultant & Software Architect
> SchlumbergerSema, XML Network / Competence Center Content Management
> Kaltenbornweg 3, 50679 Koeln, Germany
> Phone/Fax:  +49 221 8299 -228 / -777    Mobile:     +49 175 580 76 56
> E-Mail: afuechsel at slb.com               www.schlumbergersema.com

Stephan Hartmann

Währisch & Feykes GmbH
Gustav-Adolf-Str. 5