[opencms-dev] Problems uploading modules

James McLean james at matrixlinks.ca
Tue Aug 6 19:10:01 CEST 2002

To whom it may concern,

	I have been engaging in web application development project and would
very much like to use OpenCms as the platform. It is quite impressive and
well suited to rapid deployment of web applications.  However, I have been
having some difficulty uploading modules. Previous to the current problems
I was able to upload a module from my local machine without error. Below
are the events leading up to the problems I have encountered and some
things I have done to try to correct it (to no avail):

I am running: OpenCms 4.6.1,  Apache v1.3.22,  mysql-3.23.51, and
jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4

1. I proceed to delete the module I uploaded in favor of uploading a
revised version and began receiving a message indicating that the versions
of my templates were not in sync with the versions of my classes.
2. I fully reinstalled OpenCMS. I deleted everything pertaining to OpenCMS
in CATALINA_HOME, dropped the opencms database etc... I copied the
opencms.war to the "CATALINA_HOME/webapps" folder and ran "ant setup" (the
ocsetup wizard just doesn't work for me). OpenCMS loaded perfectly.
3. Again I attempted to upload a module from my local machine and caught
the error message below:

[CmsException]: 0 Unknown exception. Detailed Error: NO MESSAGE. Caught
Exception: >java.lang.NullPointerException<
	at
com.opencms.template.cache.CmsElementXml.getContent(CmsElementXml.java:192)
	at com.opencms.template.cache.CmsUri.callCanonicalRoot(CmsUri.java:169)
	at
com.opencms.template.cache.CmsElementCache.callCanonicalRoot(CmsElementCache.java:148)

4. As was suggested previously for a similar problem I turned off element
caching... No fix, just another error message.
5. I decided to start from scratch and fully reinstall OpenCms and Tomcat,
however, I am still receiving the error message posted above when
attempting to upload modules (I have tried uploading my own and
NewModule4).

Does OpenCms or Tomcat drop any additional files into folders outside of
CATALINA_HOME, and if so where? I would be greatful if anyone can think of
any suggestions for solving my dilemma or can hint at what is causing the
error messages. Thanks!

Sincerely,
	James R. I. McLean