[opencms-dev] Multi-language web site question

Gabriele Vanni Gabriele.Vanni at paconsulting.com
Wed Nov 13 14:45:54 CET 2002

Hi,
  I want to create a multi-language website using OpenCMS and have an idea
on how to do this, but want to know if there is a recommended/best way.

The OpenCMS application itself is multi-lingual using language files to
specify what each item (icon, title, listitem, etc) is dynamically given the
write text for the language selection. This makes sense.

I'm not sure how this extends to creating websites with OpenCMS.
Is there a best or recommended way?

The thought I had was to create a module (actually extend the News module)
and add a column in the database to indicate language, and another column to
help group different language versions of the same news article.
... some detail missing... probably confuse things more than help...
On the homepage, put a collection of country flags to indicate which
language they wish to see.
Then, when it comes to displaying the right page to the user, a session
variable (or url parameter) could be used to indicate the language the user
has selected, and extract the correct page in the correct language to the
user.

Are there other ways or better ways of doing this?

It would be great if you guys and ladies could also point me to a website
that does multi-language and perhaps give me an idea of how it was done.

Thanks in advance

Gabe  8 )