[opencms-dev] Question about Projects and Userrights

Sven Dittmar dittmar at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Nov 20 09:59:18 CET 2002

Hi,

we are running OpenCMS 51beta2 on a debian box (dual pentium, 1GB ram)
with JDK 1.4 and its running fine.

We want to switch from out "800-ftp-account-webserver" to OpenCMS with
templates and publishing possibilites and I am evaluating right now.

We have groups of users from multiple University instituts and would
like to announce one projectmanager for each of this groups to maintain
most in their group *without* a central administrator (us! :-)).

So I am going to tell you, what I did so far:

I want to have a number of accounts (sb1, sb2, sb3) in a usergroup SB.
Done as admin. This works fine.

Now I want to give the projectmanager sb1 the right to add and edit
templates for the group SB and only a subdirectory in the directory
structure.

As Adminuser I created the subdirectories for the SB group and "gave
them" to the group SB.

Now my problems start. :-)

Intuitively I created a "Project SB" as well and set the preferences for
the sb-accounts to start with Project SB. But all the folders are marked
grey and are not editable for them.

Q1: How do I make this folders in the Projekt SB modifieable for them?

Q2: The sb-users can't see the template folders (only Admin can). How
can I enable sb1 to change/add templates only for its subdirectories?

Q3: the sb-users can see all folders, can I restrict the folderlist to a
list of folder they are "member" of?

Q4: Could a Projectmanager be enabled to add new users oder maintain the
current one in his/her area/ subdirectories?

Or is there a different approach to solve this kind of grouping trouble?

Thanks for any input here.

Best Regards,
Sven Dittmar, RUS Infodienste ------ mailto:dittmar at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Computing Centre University of Stuttgart (RUS)   phone: +49.711.685.5990
Allmandring 30, D-70550 Stuttgart, Germany       fax:   +49.711.678.7626