[opencms-dev] possible solution to missing buttons in source code editor

Stephan Dale stephan.dale at clicksandlinks.com
Mon Jan 13 11:28:10 CET 2003

Dear OpenCMS team,

I work as a software developer for a small but gifted company called Clicks and Links. We've been using your software to help provide web-sites to various local communities in the UK. First let me congratulate you on producing a great piece of open source software.

We've been having a problem with the source code editor when the browser is Internet Explorer v6. The text area size is too large, resulting in the top-most buttons being pushed off the page.

The getDimensions() method in /system/workplace/scripts/opencms_edit.js seems to work only
with the Netscape DOM. To allow it to work with IE you must add a condition to test for the browser and use the document.body object to determine the height and width rather than the window object, like so...

if (IE)
  {
  windowWidth = document.body.clientWidth - 15;
  windowHeight = document.body.clientHeight - space;
  }
else
  {
  windowWidth = window.innerWidth - 15;
  windowHeight = window.innerHeight - space;
  }

Note that writing only innerWidth is sufficient - the full form is windowinnerWidth (and the same applies to innerHeight).

If you make this change you will also need to remove the lines in the edit_text_main template
(/system/workplace/templates/edit_text_main) that prevent the getDimensions() call if the browser is not IE. So the following 2 lines should be commented out or removed...

if(!ie)getDimensions();
else windowHeight="50%";

..and replaced with just...

getDimensions();

Note that you may have problems under IE whereby the JavaScript file is somehow cached and hence changes are ignored. To get around this problem you can rename the JS file to something different, edit the source code of a page (resulting in JS errors), then rename it back again. You may have to log in/out of OpenCMS as you do this.

Finally, I would like to ask whether setting the windowHeight to 50% was a work-around for this problem, or did it have another purpose?

Many thanks,

Stephan

Stephan Dale
Software Engineer

Clicks and Links Ltd
Manchester Technology Centre
Oxford Road
Manchester
M1 7ED
England

t +44(0)161 242 2102
f +44(0)161 242 2202
e stephan.dale at clicksandlinks.com
w www.clicksandlinks.com

info at clicksandlinks.com. Clicks and Links Limited is incorporated in
England and Wales under company number 4029108.
Registered address: 28 Moss Road, Alderley Edge, Cheshire SK9 7HZ.
Office: Manchester Technology Centre, Oxford Road, Manchester M1 7ED.