[opencms-dev] Dynamic Pages (template cache)

Ivan Biddles ivanb at scientology.net
Mon Jan 20 09:17:11 CET 2003

Hi,

I have been struggling with an issue that my dynamic pages are generated
once, when online, but then the JSPs are never run again and the same
version is always displayed.

I have specified these pages as "export=dynamic", and everything works
perfectly in the off-line project.

I tracked it down to the "template cache". I had already tried disabling
both the element and flex caches without success.

(The template cache is only mentioned twice in the Manual, both times in
the Javadoc section - pages 200 and 215.)

What I found was that my JSP would run once and then its _output_ would
be stored in the template cache. From then on OpenCms simply serves up
the page as it was originally created.

This means that Person A logs in and goes to some page and gets a
display of some personal information, let's say. Then Person B does the
same thing but he sees Person A's information, because OpenCms is only
se5rving up one version of this page.

In CmsTemplate Cache, I found the following code:

      // TODO: get the cache-size from properties
      private CmsCache templateCache = new CmsCache(1000);

So there is no way to turn off this cache from the property file.

There must be some way of controlling this behaviour.

I'm sure others must tried to create dynamic pages, so it must be some
setting that I have got wrong somewhere, but I haven't been able to find
what it is.

So any help is urgently needed and would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
           Ivan