[opencms-dev] Trouble connecting to MySQL during wizard setup

Thomas Maerz thomasmaerz at gmx.de
Thu Jan 30 20:15:38 CET 2003

Hello David,

> When trying to set up OpenCms with the setup wizard, I get the following
> error at the database creation step:
>

> Could no connect to database via: jdbc:mysql://tomcat:3306/
> java.sql.SQLException: Cannot connect to MySQL server on tomcat:3306. Is
> there a MySQL server running on the machine/port you are trying to connect
> to? (java.security.AccessControlException)

> java.lang.NullPointerException

> <<
>
> I'm running Tomcat 4.04 with Sun JDK 1.4.1 and MySQL 3.23.55 on Debian 3. I
> have tried the connection to 'localhost' and using the actual hostname of
> the server, and have also made sure to enable networking for the MySQL db.
> Still no connection after these changes.

Did you modify your MySQL-configuration to enable networking?
This is a part of my configuration.

,----[ /etc/mysql/my.conf ]
`----

> Any ideas as to what might be wrong and how to troubleshoot it?
>
> Is there a simple and definite way to test that jdbc is installed correctly
> and is configured to enable connections to MySQL?

Download DbVisualizer [1] and try to access MySQL or try your command
line MySQL-Tools. Did you set the access permission [2] of MySQL
correctly resp. is your password and login correct?

Regards,
Thomas

[1] http://www.minq.se/products/dbvis/
[2] http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Privilege_system.html