[opencms-dev] Database connection pooling

Vadim Lotarev vlotarev at evelopers.com
Fri Feb 21 10:36:25 CET 2003

Evans,

Thank you for the answers. Could you please answer some more?

>1.  Not all app servers provide connection pooling.  Also the where class
>names vary between implementations OpenCMS would then start to become
>product specific.

JDBC 2.0 specification has standart approach to access datasources (using
Datasource-related interfaces). I think that usage of these interfaces is
not product-specific approach. In addition to this I can proclaim that ANY
of modern application servers support connection pooling, especially those
ones which support JDK 1.4 specification required to use the last version of
your product. Do you belive that your realization of connection pooling is
better than app servers manufacturer's?
It seems that this is the good time to revise this approach ...

>4.  Scaleability of end users visiting sites is excellent (with options to
>static export content for greater scaleability), scaleability of
interactive
>users modifying content is moderate.

Apart from using static export can you explain in what way OpenCMS
determines that content has been changed and it is necessary to update
cache?

One more question: is it possible to use OpenCMS to manage dynamic content
only and not to operate on static part of site (may be coded manually)?

Thanks in advance,
Vadim Lotarev