[opencms-dev] How do i build the modules??

Petr Hollay ph at ethikom.de
Wed Mar 5 18:54:40 CET 2003

Hi Martin,

> i don't see why log4 is not designed for use in opensource frameworks ...
I didn't say this, but that Jakarta-Commons was designed for this purpose.

I don't like Commons-Logging for some reasons, but I'm not writing
opensource framework.
For me the best way is to maximize application peformance and minimize
effort of developers,
so we are perfectly happy with Log4J.

But, taken from this article "Think again" (I've read some time ago ;-):

> Remember that the initial goal of introducing the commons-logging wrapper
API was to protect
> your coding investment. If for whatever reason you decide to drop log4j in
favor of JDK 1.4 >
> (or the other way around)
> a simple string search-and-replace operation will do.
                       ^^^ this is the point.

This you can do only as developer of framework - OpenCms. Not as a user of
OpenCms,
and in opensource world it is perfectly valid to prefer another logging
package over Log4J.

If OpenCms will start to use Log4J, I'll be really happy.
But maybe not everybody will be happy with me,
and this is the only reason why to speak about use of Commons-Logging
package.

Btw: Log4J: +1 :-)

Regards
Petr