[opencms-dev] Folder permissions

Birgit Hämmerling Christall at gmx.net
Wed Mar 26 13:37:38 CET 2003

Hi Cedric !

To solve your problem you have to do something like this:
(I'm currently using the OpenCMS version 4.7.7)

You have to make some changes in your group-administration. You open the
form for changing properties of a certain group, select the group
"projectmanagers". The field - higher group/overriding group etc. - has to be "none". The
default value is "administrators". You have to do the same for the group
"users". There, the default value is "projectmanagers".

The reason to do so is:
If a group has got a higher/overriding group, it inherits all rights of this
group. That's why a member specified as a user has the same rights for
publishing etc. like the projectmanager.

In your special case you have to do the following:
1. Change your groups as described.
2. Change your users/members.
Attention: you have to add always the group "users" - otherwise your user
has no access to the workplace.

Example:
User name= Testuser ...
Groups= Projectmanager, Users

The result:
A projectmanager is able to create a new project. He creates new folders and
pages. Other projectmangers can also read and change these files. Users are
only allowed to read these files - they have no other rights.

Attention: In this case all projectmanagers have the right to publish the
project.
If you like to change this, you have to take off the flag for "writing" for
the group (see Mail from Sven).
But then - as he already stated - there's only one person (the owner) you
can write or change the files.

If you would like to know more details about that you can write me directly
an email.

Birgit

PS: Greetings to Mickey - I worked for Euro-Disney in 1999 !!