[opencms-dev] index.jsp page gives 'Could not connect to the database. Is the database up and running?' error

Yogen Kapadia yogen_kapadia at yahoo.com
Wed May 7 18:59:01 CEST 2003

Markus, I am assuming you are refering to the Tomcat security manager / policy defined in catalina.policy. I have "permission java.security.AllPermission" set for opencms and classes and lib folder under it. That is equivalent to switching off the security manager. Is there any other way of switching it off? The code of startup.bat and catalina.bat of Tomcat automatically set the security policy to default - that is - catalina.policy if not mentioned. This is when you are running Tomcat independently. When you run it embedded in JBoss, the JBoss policy (which is permission java.security.AllPermission by default) overrides Tomcat. I tried running OpenCMS under Tomcat independently (under the webapps folder) and under Jboss-Tomcat (under the deploy folder of Jboss), yet I cannot connect to the database after installation. The wierd thing is that the installation goes fine - I can connect to the MySQL database, and create tables. Any idea whats wrong here? Thanks! Yogen

Markus Daniel <markus.daniel at synyx.de> wrote:Hi!
> My installation of OpenCMS was successful but on trying to connect to
> the start page - http://localhost:8080/opencms/opencms/index.jsp I
> received the following error. javax.servlet.ServletException: OpenCms
> initialization error! Could not connect to the database. Is the
> database up and running?
> at
> com.opencms.core.OpenCmsHttpServlet.init(OpenCmsHttpServlet.java:245)
> .......... (more detailed log of the error is available below) Here are
> the details of my
> system:-------------------------------------------------OpenCMS
> version: 5.0.0Database: MySql 4.0.12Operating System : Windows
> XPServlet engine: Tomcat 4.1.24 running with Jboss 3.0.7 (Note: I have
> ensured that the installation is the jboss deploy folder as required by
> jboss, and that part works fine).Java VM encoding: Cp1252 Detailed
> error log:------------------------HTTP Status 500 -
Have you checked the security manager?
switch the security manager off and try it again.

good luck,
Markus Daniel