[opencms-dev] OpenCMS 5 : Installation problems

Garvin.LeClaire at Anthem.com Garvin.LeClaire at Anthem.com
Fri May 9 16:05:02 CEST 2003

I just run the script anytime I want to create a service with a different
configuration.  After that you just need to start the service.  The service
is set for Automatic start up by default.

Regards,

Garvin LeClaire
Anthem Inc.
Senior Technical Architect
Technology Architecture and Infrastructure
Tel: 513-336-3305

                      "Derek Hohls"
                      <DHohls at csir.co.z        To:       <Garvin.LeClaire at Anthem.com>,
                      a>                        <opencms-dev at opencms.org>
                                               cc:
                      05/09/2003 02:27         Subject:  Re: [opencms-dev] OpenCMS 5 : Installation
                      AM                        problems

Gavin

Are you saying these 'scripts' need to be run everytime;
or are they 'once off' - in either case, are you triggering them
as batch files from the DOS environment, or is there some
other way to do it??

Thanks
Derek

>>> Garvin.LeClaire at Anthem.com 08/05/2003 05:57:29 >>>

You need to set the service up to install the appropriate encoding.  We use
3 scripts that help in setting up the services.   we run them in the bin
directory of the TomCat installation.  Take note of the jvm_option
environment variable as this is where we handle the encoding setup.

1. The first is a general environment script called setenv.cmd

set TOMCAT_HOME=E:\Apache\Tomcat4.1
set service_name=Apache Tomcat 4.1
set jvm_library=%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
set jvm_option=-Djava.class.path=%TOMCAT_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar
-Dcatalina.home=%TOMCAT_HOME%
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%TOMCAT_HOME%\common\endorsed
-Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-1
SET start_class=org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService
SET start_method=main
SET start_parameter=start
SET stop_method=main
SET stop_parameter=stop
SET out_log_file=%TOMCAT_HOME%\logs\stdout.log
SET err_log_file=%TOMCAT_HOME%\logs\stderr.log

2. The second  is a general script to uninstall the service called
uninstallservice.cmd

@call setenv.cmd

tomcat -uninstall "%service_name%"

3. The third is a general script to install the service called
installservice.cmd

@call setenv.cmd

tomcat -install "%service_name%" %jvm_library% %jvm_option% -start
%start_class% -method %start_method% -params %start_parameter% -stop
%start_class% -method %stop_method% -params %stop_parameter% -out
%out_log_file% -err %err_log_file%

                      <DHohls at csir.co.za        To:
<opencms-dev at opencms.org>
                      >                         cc:

                      Sent by:                  Subject:  [opencms-dev]
OpenCMS 5 : Installation problems
                      opencms-dev-admin@

                      opencms.org

                      05/08/2003 05:22

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      opencms-dev

Hi

I am running Win XP/JDK 2/Tomcat 4 - I start
Tomcat as a service, using the Control Panel
for services.

I am struggling to get the language encoding
set up properly... in the install guide it says:

 "Please refer to the Tomcat documentation on how
  to set the environment variable"

but I cannot find reference on how to do this in
the Tomcat docs - if someone can give me a hint
or point me to the most useful explanation, I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks
Derek

believed to be clean.