[opencms-dev] A few issues that will trip people up

Jeff Taylor jeff_taylor_j at yahoo.com
Mon May 12 09:57:01 CEST 2003

Hi Guys,

New to OpenCMS - here are a few issues that are going to trip people up
- and which have so far prevented me installing your product:

 a)  You mislead all users of Microsoft's SQL driver by calling the
Merant driver the Microsoft Driver.  For a long time now Microsoft has
used it's own driver (bought from Merant I think), which has a different
URI and a different classname....
       Please rename the "Microsoft" one that you have to Merant.
       Also include a real Microsoft one (which I think is free, and
probably will get more use).

 b) On doing some research, I edited the opencms.properties file.
      After editing the driverclassname/url, separately in either emacs
or vi, I ALWAYS get this particularly unhelpful message:
    <12-May-2003 08:36:07 BST> <Error> <HTTP> <101017>
<[ServletContext(id=10187574,name=opencms,context-path=/ope
      ncms)] Root cause of ServletException   java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.opencms.boot.CmsSetup.getExtProperty(CmsSetup.java:163)
        at
com.opencms.boot.CmsSetup.getDefaultContentEncoding(CmsSetup.java:1061)
        at
jsp_servlet._ocsetup.__content_encoding._jspService(__content_encoding.java:559)
        at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspBase.service(JspBase.java:27)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl$ServletInvocationAction.run(ServletStubImpl.java:1058)

    I get this after entering DB info inthe setup screeen.  I do have
the -Dfile.encoding thing on, because when I didn't I got stopped
    at some prior screen.

    Can someobdy please tell me what that means, how to fix it?  (And
perhaps make the error message more helpful for others)

Thanks in advance.
Regards,

PS.  Running WL 7 on W2K on JDK1.4.1