[opencms-dev] OpenCMS Plug-in? (Module?)

Tim Mundy Tim.Mundy at babelfish.com
Wed May 28 21:37:02 CEST 2003

Hello List,

We've been using OpenCMS for just about a week now and were really excited
about the different possibilities it brings to the table. Were planning on
using it for all of our web sites and internal information sources. Along
with this, we would like to integrate a plug-in inside of OpenCMS. We have
the technical man power & knowledge to actually implement this, but we were
hoping for some pointers to help us get started.

The basic idea of what we want to do is be able to click a button on the
editor which will send the content of the page to our system. We would then
work on the content and send it back to the CMS when completed.  Other
bells & whistles would be added upon this as well, but this is the overall
idea.
We have some questions about where to look into to actually start this
implementation.

1) Is this plug-in, something that could be completed through the module
functionality of OpenCMS?
- Can you add content to the basic Administration page via a module?
(Interface Button / Settings form, ...)
- If a module could not support this, how else would you do it?
- I read through the
com.alkacon.documentation.documentation-modules_1.0.zip module and I
appreciate the administration knowledge that was inside of it. But does
OpenCMS have any more detailed documentation about the technical details of
implementing a module?

2) Does OpenCMS have an API which would enable us to access the content in
the same standard OpenCMS way?
- Any documentation on this API?
- Any documentation available that is more suited to a developer, rather
then a end user?

3) Has anyone completed a similar type of plug-in to extend the
functionality of OpenCMS?

We know that there is a fair amount of work to complete this plug-in, but
were excited about starting development on it. We reviewed other CMS tools
to implement this plug-in with and we have decided to go with OpenCMS. We
would also be happy to release this plug-in as part of the OpenCMS core, or
an optional download from the OpenCMS site.

Thank you for your time,

Tim Mundy
Software Developer
E-mail: Tim.Mundy at babelfish.com
Phone: 780.944-9964
Fax: 780.432.5700
The Babel Fish Corporation
Where the World comes to Communicate!!

disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
Le présent message électronique (y compris les pièces qui y sont annexées,
le cas échéant) s'adresse au destinataire indiqué et peut contenir des
renseignements de caractère privé ou confidentiel. Si vous n'êtes pas le
destinataire de ce document, nous vous signalons qu'il est strictement
interdit de le diffuser, de le distribuer ou de le reproduire. Si ce
message vous a été transmis par erreur, veuillez en informer l'expéditeur
et le supprimer immédiatement.
www.babelfish.com