[opencms-dev] installation with tomcat

Roland Hordos roland at ethicalmachine.com
Thu Jun 5 08:45:02 CEST 2003

I might be able to help, I am running OpenCMS 5.0.0 on a Tomcat 4.1.24,
RedHat 7.3, Sun JDK 1.4.1 platform with though I did not have any
installation problems at all.  After looking at the code it seems about
the only way you could be getting a null pointer exception here is if
there was a problem when the app initialized.  Are there any other
exception messages before this one?  I suspect his exception came right
out of TomCat, but did you also check the WEB-INF/logs directory for
other log files?

The CmsSetup object referred to in the exception is essentially a
wrapper for the config data in the opencms.properties file.  You could
check to make sure that this file exists, is readable, and is readable
by Tomcat.  On an XP Pro machine I wouldn't expect a file permissions
issue but you could also check that whatever user Tomcat is running as,
has write access to the opencms.properties file.  Did you make it
through the setup wizard completely or is this occurring as the setup
wizard is starting up?  The wizard will make modifications to this file
as you step through it.

If the file doesn't exist it's likely that the WAR is not expanded -- it
needs to be for OpenCMS to write to the config directory.  By default
Tomcat will automatically expand the WAR file for you.  However if
you've set autoDeploy="false" in the <Host> tag, in the conf/server.xml
then you will have to manually expand it yourself, or at least the
WEB-INF/config directory.  Are you running the Tomcat /admin and
/manager apps?  They are very helpful in troubleshooting deployments.
 Also don't be afraid to do a full stop and start on Tomcat as you make
changes, as it can be confusing as to what can and cannot be Hot-deployed.

Hope this helps.  I do know that it runs very well in Tomcat 4.1.24, now
also within the embedded tomcat in JBoss 3.2.1+Tomcat 4.1.24.

Roland;