[opencms-dev] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

ambiesense at gmx.de ambiesense at gmx.de
Mon Jun 16 18:53:02 CEST 2003

Hello guys,

I am using:
Tomcat 4.1.24
MySQL 4.0.13
Java 1.4.1_03 J2SE
OpenCMS 5.0.0 Release

I get an java.lang.OutOfMemoryError (displayed in Tomcat console) after
trying to publish a 5 MB file. OpenCMS hangs after that and I have to close the
browser window. When I restart everything and try to delete the file I get the
same error. Something is terrible wrong here!

I have heard from a earlier questions that this might be a Java problem
which can be solved by increasing the heap with the command parameter -Xmx256MB.
The question is:

Is this the same problem ?
Is it eventually an OpenCMS problem or a Tomcat / Java problem (looks like)
?
If this helps, how can I change the Java VM parameter? Which config file
should I edit? I think it must be somewhere in Tomcat...

Is there another explanation? I have increased the max_allowed_packet
parameter of MySQL. Here the MySQL config file:

[client]
port=3306
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

[mysqld]