[opencms-dev] Adding Website Membership

Thomas März thomasmaerz at gmx.de
Tue Jun 24 19:29:02 CEST 2003

M Butcher <mbutcher at grcomputing.net> writes:
> So, I've given the website membership thing a lot of thought, but I'm
> just not sure if I understand it well enough (yet) to solve the problem.
> There are (at least) two options for giving website users accounts: 1) I
> can take the CMS_USER/GROUP stuff that is used already, and try to model
> website users in that context. The other option is to create a
> completely separate user management system (which is what I'm guessing
> CMS_WEBUSER was for).

Take a look at:

,----[ CmsObject.addWebUser ]
|  * Adds a web user to the Cms.
|  * <br>
|  * A web user has no access to the workplace but is able to access personalized
|  * functions controlled by the OpenCms.
`----

But you can't administer the web users with OpenCms, because the Group
flag is different from web users that are added by the OpenCms
administration view "Users". But you can write your own administration
view.

> Website users will probably have to (from time to time) submit stuff to

Then you can always "upgrade" web users to OpenCms users so they can
login to OpenCms and add conntent.

> the site, but I'd rather handle that through traditional form interfaces
> rather than give them access to the CMS interface, so (at this point)
> there is no need for the website user to be included in the permissions
> that govern the CMS interface -- which is why a separate user management
> system is possible.

> If anyone has thoughts on this, or has done something similar, I'd
> appreciate hearing from you. I'd rather not make a bad design decision
> because of my own ignorance. ;-)

I have about 10 users using personalized content so I can administer
them, without loosing the overview, with OpenCms.

Best Regards,
Thomas März