[opencms-dev] tomcat/mysql needs to be retarted

ms dasaxiom at yahoo.ca
Wed Oct 1 16:29:02 CEST 2003

Hi,

We are experiencing a problem related to opencms/mysql/tomcat.

We deployed opencms in tomcat (see below for versions), and we imported the
OpenCms 5.0 News Module of Antonio Reyes. We created three different modules
based on the code we found for the version 4 of the News module and imported
them in OpenCms.

We are currently using the system in a development environnment and we have to
restart Tomcat almost everyday because it hangs on forever. At that stage, we
either have to retart mysql or tomcat. It looks like there are some leaks in
the sql connection since mysql is not responding anymore (could it be something
else...?). In that situation, if you try to publish a file in opencms, you will
get a "grey flag" (instead of the usual red one telling you that the file is
changed and not published), but no errors about unsuccessful publishing.

We did code review & testing in a sandbox environment and we did not find
anything.
In all the code of our modules, we open the connection, do whatever we need,
then close the resulset, the prepared statement & the connection in a finally
block.
We are using the poolname "jdbc:opencmspool:mysql" for our modules and this
makes usage of the com.opencms.dbpool.CmsDriver/CmsConnection.
Any references to sql objects in our code are done using with the java.sql.*
objects (Connection, PreparedStatement, ResultSet, etc.). For example, we get
the connection like: java.sql.Connection connection =
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:opencmspool:mysql"); etc...
The opencms.properties file is used for the properties of mysql pool
(pool.mysql.driver=org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver,
pool.mysql.url=jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/opencms, pool.mysql.user=xyz,
pool.mysql.password=xyz, pool.mysql.minConn=10, pool.mysql.maxConn=20,
pool.mysql.increaseRate=5, pool.mysql.timeout=120, pool.mysql.maxage=360)

We did not find any logs that could help us to resolve this issue...

Any help would be definitively greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance!
ms

We are using:
Apache Tomcat/4.1.27
Mysql 4.0.15
Opencms 5.0.0 Kaitain
Running on Sun Microsystems Inc. Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM 1.4.2_01-b06 mixed
mode with Linux 2.4.20-20.9 (i386)