[opencms-dev] WebUser and WebUser administration

Marcus Redeker mredeker at web.de
Sat Oct 11 21:04:01 CEST 2003

Hi List,

following the discussions here it looks like a lot of people are using
the "Webuser" to restrict user from seeing certain pages in OpenCMS. We
use the same mechanism to provide some kind of member access to our site
for user which has to register with us but which are not supposed to use
the OpenCMS backen.

So we created a login.jsp which is taking a username and password and
performs a login as webuser. So this is fine but OpenCMS does not
provide any way on maintaing the webuser. You have to implement
everything yourself :-( I created one JSP which I can use to add more
webuser to the system. But next thing was my boss asking how to delete
them and how to update an email address.

Well I just did some modifications to OpenCMS an cloned the User
Administration screen and the underlying java class to support webuser.
This brings me an extra button under the User Administration which is
called "Webuser" but offers the same functionality then the user button.

For this to work I needed to change some major classes and interfaces in
OpenCMS and I was wondering if this is something the community is
interested in. If yes I will try to find a way to send it to the OpenCMS
guys so that they can create a fix for this.

Let me know what you think.

--Marcus