[opencms-dev] OpenCMS first impression

Ilja imhehenkamp at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 17 23:51:02 CEST 2003

Ok, I have looked through OpenCMS for a couple of times now. Impressions:

.1: Administration User Interface is horrible. First of all: too
Windowish, doesn't suit a cms system that's supposed to be platform
independent. Second: Not intuitive, when you're new to OpenCMS you don't
have a clue where to start. Third: Too technical: non technical users
will have a long time to learn the system. Fourth: Too much javascript
and build with IE in mind: running on Mac OSX I have numerous problems
with various browsers. Even IE on the mac doesn't work well.

.2: User administration is too limited: I was expecting more flexible
user administration where you could assign permission (ie:
canInstallModule, canDeleteModule, canPostNews etc...) per module.

.3: Missing basic features like newsletters, newsposting (I know modules
exist, but they don't work in my case *yet*), user-registration and
configuration modules (for the endusers themselves), submit-forms etc...
which are full integrated with the administration system

.4: Non conformant to latest JSP specs and so it cannot run on Tomcat 5

My biggest thing is the user-interface. I hope this will change in the
next version

Ilja