[opencms-dev] Issue with file.encoding=ISO-8859-1 with web hosting company

Polizzi, Jim Jim.Polizzi at bankofamerica.com
Fri Oct 24 19:20:01 CEST 2003

I would like to use openCms to manage a web site that will be hosted on a server at a web hosting company.

My concern is that I will not be able to specify the Tomcat startup options - to specify -D.file.encoding=ISO8859-1

When I run openCms on my local machine - I can specify this... but I won't be able to do it on their machine.

Tomcat seems to use Cp1252 as it's default (or at least it does on my machine).  Can openCms work with that?

If yes - how?

Also - what does the file.encoding actually DO?  What does it effect?

Thanks for the help,

Jim