[opencms-dev] Greek workplace translation

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Fri Nov 7 10:48:01 CET 2003

Vangelis,

Java property files are always to be encoded in ASCII. You must escape all
special characters in the properties file with a unicode \uXXXX code.

Please see
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/ResourceBundl
es/

for more information on the subject.

Quote form this page:

You'll need to understand another caveat regarding property bundles; you
must create them in ASCII, or use Unicode escape codes to represent Unicode
characters. Since you don't compile a property file to byte codes, there is
no way to tell the Java1 Virtual Machine (JVM) which character set to use.
So you must explicitly stick with ASCII or use the escape sequences. You can
represent a Unicode character in any Java file using \uXXXX, where XXXX is
the hexidecimal representation of the character. If you don't know the
hexidecimal value for a character, just use the native2ascii tool provided
in the JDK. You can read more about the tool at

http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.1/docs/tooldocs/win32/native2ascii.html.
This tool will convert a file written in your native encoding to one that
represents non-ASCII characters as Unicode escape sequences. A partial
listing of the %JDK_HOME%\lib\font.properties.ja file provides an example of
these escape sequences:

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior