[opencms-dev] OpenCMS - can it be used to host hundreds of websites ?

Olga Mayer terchris2 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 21 11:39:01 CET 2003

I’m looking for a CMS system that enables us to create many websites in one
CMS. I have looked as several systems and I want to know if anyone can
confirm if/how OpenCms can be used.

Our requirements
We have a POS (Point Of Sale) system that is used by several hundreds beauty
saloons. We are now planning to offer our customers a simple web site for
their saloon. The idea is to have the saloon select from a set of
web-templates.
After selecting a template the saloon can upload its logo and start adding
text to their pages.

The users should be able to update their text by logging in and using
WYSIWYG editor.

The sites of the saloons are not advanced. They will consist mainly
information like: opening hours, presentation of the saloon, presentation of
the employees, our specialities and so on.
Just a few pages. But there will be hundred slouch web sites.

We have developed a system for this but our lead programmer has left the
company and we have two options. One is to continue our system the other is
to discontinue our system, choose an OSS and put our functionality into this
system.

A few words about our system
The key functionality in the system is the publishing process. We have made
a ActiveX plugin and integrated into MS Office applications (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, Outlook, FrontPage). The users are presented with the same
dialog boxes as they see when they do “File|Save as” in an Office
application. The document is cleaned and published as an xhtml document.
The server part is written in Java/JSP and uses XSL to render the XML/XHTML
content.
Two of our customers www.utdanningsforbundet.no and www.utdanning.ws

Terje Christensen
Terchris2<at>hotmail.com