[opencms-dev] Support for multilingual content...?

Claus Priisholm cpr at codedroids.com
Thu Nov 27 09:41:00 CET 2003

Hi Laurent

The language-specific subdirectory is a nice way of handling the
problem - especially if it is anticipated that there will be
differences in the structure at some point. This deals very nicely
content and then have language dependent  proporties to control
whatever locale dependent content there is in the template files.

An alternative would be to have multiple bodies (there is a thread on
this in this years mailing archive) and then have the templates pick
the right body based on the language. I haven't tried this and I am not
sure if there could be implications, performance wise or other issues
with other utilities (such as the search module) which work with files
rather than bodies.

The problem with both approaches, as you mention, is mostly in the area
of management - keeping the content in sync. And this is especially a
problem in cases where you have multiple persons involved in the
process  (just in case that one user is not fluent in all european
languages :-)

I was involved in developing a custom-built CMS for a pan-european
sports site where we had to anticipate up to 15 languages and editors
placed throughout europe. The solution we ended up making was along the
lines of multiple bodies, i.e. an article would be present in one or
more languages, and if the country manager decided to publish an
article for his language, he would then have to make sure it was
translated (or accept that it would appear in the default language).
Apart from being tightly integrated, i.e. the UI would know what parts
was language dependent and show all language variations of a given
article to the editors, the key was keeping editors posted when
relevant changes had taken place and he or she should take action upon
it.

I think it would be possible to have at least some control by using the
workflow stuff to at least notify the individual language editors about
the fact that changes has taken place. Besides trying it out I haven't
worked with it, so I am not sure it'll do everything one needs, but it
may be the place to add functionality in order to better support
multi-lingual sites. Of course it would be convenient to have the
workflow integrated a bit more such that a resource is not just either
published or not, but rather progresses through a number of explicit
steps - in this case it would be 'released for translation' in which
case it would have to wait for all related documents to reach the same
state before being published (though this kind of rigorous control will
not work in all organizations :-)

Claus