[opencms-dev] Uploading word document template files:problem

Ritwik Datta dattaritwik at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 13:53:01 CET 2003

Dear Sirs,
I am using Open CMS 5.0.0 Kaitain (Final release). So far I found it excellent for Content repository management. We are CMM level 5 company in India and were looking for Open CMS for process improvement of document management and your product really impressed us. We successfully some projects, under that some folders with access rights given to specific user of specifc group. But while uploading .dot files( MS Word Document template) , we are facing problems. The file is getting uploaded but when we open ,it gets opened as text in browser itself with all fomatting junk character on screen. But after uploading doc file, we could see it from MS-Word. We thought, the problem is because of mime type setting in Tomcat. So we set mime types in web.xml file of <TOMCAT_HOME>/conf/. Then we tried with application specific web.xml ( in your case <TOMCAT_HOME>/webapps/opencms/WEB-INF). Finally we added mime types in /etc/mime.types of Red hat 2.1 Advnace Server, same problem is happening. But
 uploading .doc file works fine.
So we need to upload a .dot file and want to view in browser with MS-Word. We have checked Windows Client settings. Mime types for word document template file is already there. In fact, from another apache server, we can view those .dot files. This is very urgent need as far as delivery of product is concerned. Can you send across a work around? Waiting for your kind reply.
Warm Regards,
Ritwik Datta,
Engineer, CMC Limited.