[opencms-dev] Insufficient rights

Chris Hall chall at just4markets.com
Fri Jan 2 21:23:01 CET 2004

I have been struggling for over a week to be able to edit the
installation.html file as outlined in the user guide. I have scoured the
mailing list for solutions and tried a number of them but without effect. I
have swapped the Xerces files as recommended but still no joy. The error I
get is com.opencms.core.CmsException: 1 Access deined. Detailed error:
[CmsXmlTemplateEditor] Insufficient rights for editing the file
/system/bodies/release/installation.html. Given the number of postings that
relate to this issue, many without a satisfactory answer, I am surprised
that there is no single published solution that is included with the setup
notes. I am running this on W2K/IIS/mySQL/Tomcat as a combination but a
second installation at work on Linux/Apache/ mySQL/Tomcat has exactly the
same problem. By the way, if I try to create a new page using the magic wand
then I get “The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it
from fulfilling this request.”

We were intending to evaluate this with a view to adoption since it fits
with our open source policies. However, this is next to impossible if we are
spending so much time just to get it going – I am fearful that this is going
to be like this all the way. I would really appreciate it if someone could
provide me with a series of steps that would allow us to get going and prove
that OpenCMS lives up to its claims.

Regards,
Chris Hall
Managing Director