[opencms-dev] Module to manage mailing lists and mass (group) mailings?

M Butcher mbutcher at grcomputing.net
Wed Jan 14 05:09:01 CET 2004

I worked on something like this a while back. I created a module that
connected OpenCms to Lyris' mailing list software. I used a JSP to
create HTML-based email messages, and used the mail libraries in
mail.jar to send messages to the lists. Rendering the mail was
difficult... seems to me I ended up reading through a good chunk of the
XMLTemplate code to figure out how to get the JSP to render. Also had to
be careful that I didn't use any code that relied on user-specific info
from the session, etc.

With the Lyris module, I could subscribe users to lists based on their
user information in OpenCms, and subscribing and unsubscribing could be
done with the checking/unchecking of a text box (as well as through the
standard listserv-like email commands).

Since then, I've wanted to try something similar with mailman -- a
package I much prefer. However, I've not had the time.

If all you were interested in was creating an email list, what you might
want to consider is creating OpenCms groups for each mailing list, and
giving users the ability to change their membership to the group. Then,
to send mailings, you could write some code to retrieve the email
addresses of each of the members of the group and then send a formatted
email to them.

Matt