[opencms-dev] OpenCms and Expresso?

Michael Goodwin mgoodwin at amadeus.net
Wed Jan 14 09:58:02 CET 2004

You may also want to check out http://www.hibernate.org/

I believe this to be cutting edge. From the site:

'Hibernate is a powerful, ultra-high performance object/relational
persistence and query service for Java. Hibernate lets you develop
persistent objects following common Java idiom - including association,
inheritance, polymorphism, composition and the Java collections framework.
Extremely fine-grained, richly typed object models are possible. The
Hibernate Query Language, designed as a "minimal" object-oriented extension
to SQL, provides an elegant bridge between the object and relational
worlds. Hibernate is now the most popular ORM solution for Java.'

Ha, probably just muddied the waters.

Mike.

From:  dwight at penski.com@opencms.org  on 13/01/2004 14:16 EST

Please respond to opencms-dev at opencms.org

Sent by:    opencms-dev-admin at opencms.org

 To:    opencms-dev at opencms.org

 cc:

 Subjec [opencms-dev] OpenCms and
 t:     Expresso?

Yesterday I asked the question:

>> My question: what database abstraction/persistence layers are available
>> (Open Source preferred) that work well in JSPs developed and hosted in
>> OpenCms projects? Even better, are there facilities in OpenCms to
>> assist in managing database resources, akin to such facilities in
>> SilverStream? The "Database Management" icon in the OpenCms workbench
>> appears to only be for importing and exporting of OpenCms projects.

Joachim Arrasz suggested Torque and Turbine, but these look still somewhat
low-level, at least from their descriptions ... but perhaps I am mistaken?

Since then I've come across "Expresso" by JCorporate. It appears that
Expresso and OpenCms are largely orthogonal, and Expresso has (or claims
to have) a well-developed object-relational mapping model.

Has anyone had experience with this combination, who can comment on the
wisdom of this path and point out any potential problems?

  --Dwight Tuinstra
    dwight at penski.com