[opencms-dev] Comments on "Creating the Master Template"

Thomas Gagné tgagne at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jan 14 16:53:02 CET 2004

I've started reading about templates, because without them (as far as I
know), CMSes are of little good.

The documentation goes pretty immediately into a lot of detail without
telling me what I'm trying to do:

   1. create a plain text file under
      /system/modules/com.alkacon.documentation.howto-template/templates/,
      which seems pretty deep and I'm unsure why a normal system
      (without all the documentation) would have this directory/module
      or whatever.
   2. The example master template is well commented, but I don't know if
      it's supposed to have a look of its own.
   3. Are the stylesheets required?  What if I don't use stylesheets?
       Can it be omitted?

I'm still going through it and will toss up more questions as I do.

One of my first observations has less to do with OpenCMS than with CMSes
in general.  That is, it appears that most CMS products require the
development of templates using JSPs.  Since programmers are required for
that and everyone's anxious to get rid of dependencies on programmers,
which CMS products don't require them?