[opencms-dev] Removing /opencms/opencms - new Howto available

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Fri Jan 23 13:06:01 CET 2004

Hi all,

removing /opencms/opencms in the OpenCms URL seems important for many users.

I have uploaded a new Alkacon documentation module called "Alkacon OpenCms
5.0.x Howto: Setting up httpd, Tomcat and mod_proxy" to the OpenCms website.
This module requires the Alkacon Documentation base module.

It explains briefly how to integrate the Apache httpd 2.0, Tomcat 4.x and
OpenCms 5.0 using mod_proxy so that

* all static resources (e.g. images or binaries)
  are served directly by the Apache Webserver
* dynamic resources are served by OpenCms through Tomcat
* without using the usually mandantory /opencms/opencms prefix
  (i.e. no prefix is visible to the end - user)
* in a multi - site configuration where one OpenCms
  installation serves mutiple domains

Using the technique described in the module does not require mod_jk or
mod_rewrite. It requires Apache httpd 2.x. The nice thing is that you do not
need additional httpd modules (like mod_jk) for this setup, because
everything required is already available in the Apache httpd 2.x standard
distribution.

We have used this setup succesfully for some time now.

Here's the direct download link:
http://www.alkacon.com/export/download/alkacon/com.alkacon.documentation.how
to-httpd-tomcat-modproxy_1.0.zip

I know there are other ways to integrate Apache with Tomcat / OpenCms using
mod_jk / mod_webapp / mod_rewrite or other plugins. If someone else can
contribbute some info about how to use these I will gladly include them in
the documentation.

Feedback to this module is very welcome.

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts