[opencms-dev] Tomcat 5.0.16 usage

Mariano Barcia mariano.barcia at colaborativa.net
Fri Feb 6 23:51:01 CET 2004

Reed, Matt, all,

I'd like to share a experience we had recently with a opencms website
using Lucene as the search engine.

We discovered that Xerces v1.4.4 has serious performance and memory
usage problems with Opencms-Lucene, which were solved when replaced by
v2.5. Xerces v1.4.4 is the library bundled with OpenCMS v5.0.x, but so
far the only non-2.5-compliant method we've seen is the one mentioned
here by Reed (getOriginalEncoding). We changed that method to comply
with v2.5 (easy, just change "getEncoding" for "getXmlEncoding") and
everything has been working from then.

We have not had time yet to check on the CVS HEAD version of Opencms,
maybe Opencms 5.3.1 has Xerces v2.x now ?

And BTW, we tried Opencms v5 with tomcat 5, and it didn't work. HTH,

--mariano