[opencms-dev] Re: Problem with mod_proxy guidelines

Eke, Kemi Kemi.Eke at community-fund.org.uk
Mon Feb 9 18:04:01 CET 2004

Hi Thorsten, Manuel and Alex

I've followed the guidelines to the letter on the following

Standard RedHat Linux Professional 9 Installation with its default Apache
2.0.40 server installation
Sun JDK 1.4.2_01-b06 for Linux
Tomcat 4.1.29
Opencms 5.0.1 fat binary distribution
and
Opencms 5.0 binary distribution
Network environment defined by DNS/Bind

I will just reiterate what happens wrt the steps in the mod_proxy howto:

Step 1: All versions of OpenCms install perfectly, one cannot log into the
system but can get the main page up.  The images are missing on it (as
stated in the doc)

Step 2: Opencms.properties is edited so that it reads

url_prefix_export=/export
url_prefix_http=

Step 3: One just takes that code in the howto page and replaces the original
server.xml

Step 4: The code from the page regarding VirtualHosts is taken verbatim into
the httpd.conf file and the servernames edited to suit the network
environment (I've set up DNS resolution for test0(n).c-f.org.uk and
opencms.c-f.org.uk).  NB: NameVirtualHost * is not set, it is usually a
requirement, but in the defualt Apache setup with RedHat it gives an error
if it is set...

Starting httpd: [Fri Feb 06 12:02:45 2004] [error] VirtualHost _default_:443
-- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not
supported, proceeding with undefined results
                                                           [  OK  ]

The documentation also does not indicate that NameVirtualHost needs to be
changed (it is not set by default)

Opencms, tomcat and apache are all seen to be working.  However all sites
test0n and opencms all start on the same start page.  There is a
differentiation though. If one tries to log into the Administration
environment (i.e. system/login) it will pass for opencms but the other two
servers will fail, giving a dialog box and expecting a password for the
opencms realm.

This has been the case for Opencms 5.0.0 and 5.0.1 for me in the above
environment.  It is also occuring whether the network is set up via HOSTS or
DNS, and using VMWare or real servers.

Tried your suggestions Thorsten, I've also checked Tomcat in standalone and
it works fine on 8080, or altering it to other ports above 1024. Also I've
tested Apache without Tomcat's intervention e.g.

<VirtualHost 128.1.1.54>
ServerAdmin keke at c-f.org.uk
ServerName awarenet
DocumentRoot /var/www/awarenet
ErrorLog /var/www/awarenet/logs/error_log
TransferLog /var/www/awarenet/logs/access_log
</VirtualHost>

and this works as expected, serving pages from the /var/www/awarenet
directory rather than /var/www. I suppose the next thing to do is to use a
REAL version of Apache from httpd.apache.org, rather than a Red Hat standard
version. That's the only possible thing left in the equation in this
environment and the howto.  Alex, have you tried this install in a Linux
environment? The notes suggest Windows, is there maybe something in that
too?

I'm sorry Manuel, I couldn't emulate your problem in my RedHat environment,
I could always get into the administration environment on the "opencms..."
server.(tomcat on port 8082)

Any help on this or further advice gratefully received!  Has anyone else had
successful installs on UNIX/Linux?

Kind Regards

Kemi

Thorsten wrote:-

"am no apache expert, but it looks like your virtual host setup doesn't
work.
It might be helpfull to setup tomcat with the standard 8080 port to be able
check the output of tomcat without a working apache configuration.

I followed the virtual host guidelines of the apache2 documentation and I
had
to adjust the final Proxy and ProxyReverse rules (at the end of each vhost
section) to something like
http://hostname:8081/opencms/alkacon-documentation/
etc.

I also put the different hostnames for test01,test02 etc. in my local bind
configuration - maybee this is neccessary for named virtuals hosts to work?
I am not shure if a setup via the hosts file is adequate."

Information contained in this email plus any attachment is intended for
the use of the addressee only and is confidential, proprietary and may
be privileged. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or use of this
communication without the prior permission of the sender is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy this message or
attachment or disclose the contents to any other person, but are
requested to telephone or email the sender and delete the message and
any attachment from your system. The contents of this message will not
be in any way binding upon the Community Fund. Opinions, conclusions,
contractual obligations and other information in this message, in so far
as they relate to the official business of the Community Fund, must be
specifically confirmed in writing by the Community Fund.