[opencms-dev] Uploads working better from IE than Netscape

Thomas Gagné tgagne at wideopenwest.com
Wed Feb 11 04:49:02 CET 2004

I didn't want to check it, but I had to.

I was experiencing various tcp recv timeouts while uploading 15MB+ .zip
files to my new module.  To my dismay I didn't get the timeouts while
using IE on '98.  I was using Netscape 7.01 on RHat 8.3.

Eventually the timeouts became server out-of-memory errors.  Those were
corrected by edting $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh and adding
CATALINA_OPTS="-Xmx256m".  I think Tomcat's default is 64MB.

The funny part is the first couple times I tried it with the new memory
I had misspelled the environment variable but didn't know it.  I kept
increasing the amount of memory but everything would keep blowing up.

Anyway, I thought I would post this little message in case someone else
runs into it.