[opencms-dev] problems with handling special character using utf-8

Harish.Chakravarthy at sjsu.edu Harish.Chakravarthy at sjsu.edu
Fri Feb 13 00:02:01 CET 2004

Hi Everyone,

I am having problems with handling special characters like ´ and
’s

Here is any problem, any help will be appreciated.

Step 1:
I have a form with method=post
name : San José                       // Note accent mark

In my Java code, I print the value recieved -
My code: java.getParameter("name")
name : San José                              // accent mark has changed

Write this value to Mysql DB (name field is of type varchar)
name field in table has value:  San José  // Same as input, works !

---------------------------

Step 2:
In edit mode (EditBackoffice)
name : San Jos[]
// Accent is  replaced by a new special character [](looks like a square)
on IE
// and looks like ? on Firebird

In my Java code, I print the value recieved -
name : San Jos�   //  [] is replace by another special character

Write this value to Mysql DB
name field in table has value: San Josý  // Different from the initial
input value

opencms 5final,tomcat and templates have utf-8 encoding.

Any idea what is going on ?

Thanks
Harish