[opencms-dev] OpenCms 5.3.3 is available in CVS

Alexander Kandzior alex at opencms.org
Mon Mar 1 20:56:02 CET 2004

Hi all.

I tagged the OpenCms version 5.3.3 in the CVS today. 5.3.3 should be pretty
usable as it is. Almost all issues reported with earlier versions (5.3.1 /
5.3.2) have been fixed.

Recently we have spend a lot of work on the setup wizard and tried to really
make it work "out of the box" in common configurations. It also looks nicer
know.

I would appreciate your feedback regarding the new setup wizard. My main
question is: Is the setup working in a "common" environment, or are there
things that still go wrong but should not?

Please note: This _not_ a stable release. We consider the current
development status to be 6 pre-alpha, the version number being 5.3.3. The
next stable release will be OpenCms 6.0, to be expected in the second half
of this year.

If you want to test this version you must build it yourself from CVS. See
http://www.opencms.org/opencms/en/development/cvs.html for more information
about how to do so. We will start providing binary downloads when we reach
6.0 alpha status. We will continue to work in the CVS HEAD, if you want a
"stable enough" version for testing then you should check out the CVS tag
build_5_3_3.

Please send your feedback regarding the new setup wizard and the 5.3.3 CVS
version in general to this list.

Here's the list of changes from history.txt.

- Refactored classes com.opencms.file.* to org.opencms.file.*
- Moved com.opencms.core.CmsException to org.opencms.main.CmsException
- Moved com.opencms.core.I_CmsConstants to org.opencms.main.I_CmsConstants
- Moved several other utility classes to org.opencms.* packages
- All remaining com.opencms.* classes are now in s separate
'opencms-legacy.jar'
- Created package com.opencms.legacy for legacy XmlTemplate related classes
! Improved the CmsShell, providing direct access to the CmsObject
- Rewrote import routines, import now uses dom4j Xml API
- Setup wizard: Updated to use new Workplace layout
! Setup wizard: Added new database selection scheme,
  so that additional DBs can be more easily be integrated into the setup
! Setup wizard: Added facility to select modules during installation
! Setup wizard: Improved help, addded context help
! Setup wizard: Added facility to run multiple tests to check the
environment settings
! Setup wizard: Added automatic indexing of all resources as last setp in
setup
* Errors that occur in JSP includes are now correctly displayed in error
dialog
! Added interface to allow resource loader implementations to extend the
include process
- OpenCms now ships with Xerces 2.6.x instead of 1.4.x by default

Best Regards,
Alex.

Alexander Kandzior
Alkacon Software - The OpenCms Experts